- 1 What airport do you fly into for the Big Island Hawaii?
- 2 Which airport is better Kona or Hilo?
- 3 Can you fly into the Big Island of Hawaii?
- 4 Is it cheaper to fly into Kona or Hilo?
- 5 Do you need a car in Big Island Hawaii?
- 6 Which side of the Big Island is best to stay?
- 7 Where should I stay on the Big Island in Kona?
- 8 Which is the cheapest Hawaiian island to visit?
- 9 Which Hawaiian island is the cheapest to fly into?
- 10 Is Big Island safe to visit now?
- 11 Do you have to wear a mask at the beach in Hawaii?
- 12 Do you have to wear a mask on the beach in Hawaii?
- 13 What can you not miss on the big island of Hawaii?
- 14 Should I stay Hilo or Kona?
- 15 How many days do you need on the big island?
What airport do you fly into for the Big Island Hawaii?
Where is the main airport on the island of Hawaii? Travel to Kona Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport in Kona to the west, or Hilo International Airport (ITO) in Hilo to the east. Most visitors arrive in Kona.
Which airport is better Kona or Hilo?
According to the state Department of Transportation Airports Division, Kona International Airport has about twice the number of passengers that Hilo International Airport has. Kona is served by 10 Mainland and interisland carriers, while Hilo is served by three — United Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines and go!.
Can you fly into the Big Island of Hawaii?
Most visitors arrive in Kona. There is also the option of flying into Honolulu International Airport (HNL) on Oahu first and then taking a short, 35-40 minute flight to the island of Hawaii. Getting to the island of Hawaii is easier than ever with daily direct flights into Kona International Airport.
Is it cheaper to fly into Kona or Hilo?
There is a negligible difference in ticket prices between flying to Kona or Hilo. Kona and Hilo do enjoy the cheapest roundtrip flight to Hawaii per our research. The decision on where to fly in and out of the Big Island has more to do with your itinerary.
Do you need a car in Big Island Hawaii?
Yes, you will need a car to get the most out of the Big Island. It takes 6-9 hours to drive around the entire island without stopping, so it is big. And you can’t walk to every scenic site. You can do a tour with Arnott’s to Mauna Kea since it is not safe to go up there without a 4 wheel drive.
Which side of the Big Island is best to stay?
From West to East of the Big Island
You’ll likely want to split your stay between Kailua-Kona on the west side and Hilo (or Volcano) on the east side during your trip. This will alleviate a lot of extra driving and allow you to experience both sides of the island.
Where should I stay on the Big Island in Kona?
The Best Places on the Big Island for Tourists
- Kona. The Kona district takes up about two-thirds of the Big Island’s western coastline, from just south of Waikoloa Village (where Kohala begins) to Manuka Bay (where Ka’u begins).
Which is the cheapest Hawaiian island to visit?
Oahu: The Least Expensive Hawaiian Island to Visit. Due to the abundance of hotels, activities, tours, and attractions, Oahu is the most affordable island for tourists to visit.
Which Hawaiian island is the cheapest to fly into?
Oahu (Honolulu) and Maui (Kahului) tend to be the two cheapest Hawaiian airports to fly into from the continental United States, but this may not be the case for your particular route. Always compare airports and consider tailoring your vacation itinerary if a different arrival airport offers better savings.
Is Big Island safe to visit now?
Yes, it is safe to visit Hawaii even with all of the recent Volcanic Activity. With the 2018 eruption of Kilauea, and the 2020 reactivation of the Kilauea Caldera, many people have questions about how the volcano will affect their visit to the Big Island and if it’s safe to visit Hawaii during volcanic activity.
Do you have to wear a mask at the beach in Hawaii?
Parks and Beaches
Parks, beaches and trails are open with some restrictions. Please practice physical distancing and always wear a face covering.
Do you have to wear a mask on the beach in Hawaii?
You must wear a face covering at the beach or in the park if you cannot maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet from people who are not members of your household. If I’m wearing a face covering do I still need to practice physical distancing? A face covering is NOT a substitute for physical distancing.
What can you not miss on the big island of Hawaii?
here are 15 things to do on the Big Island of Hawaii that you definitely shouldn’t miss:
- Visit the Seahorse Farm in Kona.
- See the green and black sand beaches.
- Take a helicopter tour over an active volcano.
- Star gaze atop Mauna Kea.
- Tour a coffee plantation in Kona.
- Visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
Should I stay Hilo or Kona?
Hilo is more affordable and has more local character. Hilo definitely feels less touristy than Kona, which is a good thing. It does have its share of attractions, like the Tsunami Museum. And its proximity to Volcanoes National Park makes it a great place to stay before or after visiting the park.
How many days do you need on the big island?
If you really want to enjoy even a fraction of what the Big Island has to offer, you should plan on staying at least 7 days. However, we understand that reality often does not allow such a lengthy stay in Hawaii.